Sep 28, 2009

Proud (and lucky) To Be A Martin

Well hopefully this post wont drag on forever... I feel like I have so much to talk about. As I mentioned in my last post, Adam's grandfather passed away. It was totally devastating - especially since I knew how badly Adam wanted to be here . I was determined to make it down to the coast for all of the services. This, however, was a little difficult to arrange given that I am currently living in Florence, AL and everything was taking place in Kiln, MS. Long drive + 30 weeks pregnant = way difficult. Anyway, having the amazing family that I do, we were able to work it all out so that I didn't have to drive. Thursday after I got off work mom met me to drive me to Starkville. There we met Adam's mom who drove me back to their house in Madison and the next morning she and I left for the coast.

Let me just say that I am truly the luckiest person in the world to have married into this family. I can't even begin to explain how phenomenal everyone is. They all greeted me with huge hugs and belly rubs and immediately began telling me how amazing I looked (I can't tell you how much this means to a pregnant woman who has just traveled 9 hours in a car over the past two days). I got to show them all pics from Maggie Claire's ultrasound and some of them got to see our wedding pics for the first time. After a few hours of visiting we all got ready for the visitation and I was just waiting for the storm to hit...

However, given the above description of Adam's (and now my) family, everything went so well. This family has the strongest faith and spirituality I have ever whitnessed and its this that gave them all such comfort. Pappa's death was mourned, yes, but everyone seemed so much more about celebrating his life. There were tears, but even more so there were stories, jokes, and lots of laughing. It was so uplifting. After the visitation we all went back to his grandmother's and listened/sang along with his uncle and two cousins as they played the bass, banjo, and guitar and sang some of Pappa's favorite songs. It was so beautiful. I really wish Adam could've been a part of it all. We didn't get to bed until about 1:00 in the morning because I don't think anyone really wanted it all to end.

The next day started early (we had to get up around 6 to get ready) but no one seemed to mind. I was worried the funeral would dissolve the celebratory air of the family, but of course it did not. The service was beautiful and while there were more tears, everyone stayed strong. His uncle and cousins sang and the priest gave a wonderful eulogy. After the service at the church and the gravesite, we all went back to his grandmother's for some amazing food and even more laughing and stories.

The whole weekend I didn't get any service on my cell so I wasn't able to talk to Adam at all. It was so amazing when I was in the back room and everyone started yelling that Adam was on the phone for me. He had called his grandmother's cell and so we got to talk for a few minutes. Of course given the long day and that we had just come from the funeral, I was slightly emotional to say the least. I ended up bawling on the phone with him which probably didn't help his emotions about it all. I couldn't help mysel f though. I miss him so badly it literally hurts. And to know that he couldn't be there for all of this was excrutiating. He, however, was doing much better than I was. He was so happy I was there and told me repeatedly what an amazing woman I was for making the trip (of course this sent me into crying hysterics even more). I finally calmed myself down and passed the phone around to his grandma, dad, and mom. When his dad was about to get off with him he had us all quiet down to yell out "thank you Adam" into the phone. This also led to more water works on my part...

After a short nap his mom, dad, and I headed back to Jackson. The next morning we got up early and eft to meet my mom in Starkville for the 'ol pregnant lady switch. Needless to say it was a VERY long weekend. Lots of hours in the car and lots of foot, ankle, and finger swelling. However, I would do it again in a heartbeat. It was amazing to experience the closeness of the whole weekend and to know that I am now a part of it forever. While I may not be blood, I feel as though his family has taken me in as one of their own, and I couldn't feel more honored. I look forward to a nice, long life as a Martin!

1 comment:

Ann Onymus said...

The Martins are as fortunate to have you as you are to be a part of their clan. Hope you have a good week.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews