Jun 9, 2010

Keepin' It Real

So apparently part of the appeal is that I keep it real. (Wow. Totally didn't mean to Dr. Seuss that) With that being said, let me just have "real" slap you in the face if thats the case (are you kidding me? I didn't mean to do that one either)
So let me tell you what I hate - moms who talk about how wonderful and perfect their life is staying home with their child. It makes me feel like a failure. Now don't get me wrong, I LOOOOVE my baby more than life itself. However, my daily routine these last few months with no job is about to kill me. Its like "Hello, adult conversation. I miss you. xoxo - Jess" Their life seems to resemble this...
That is not my life. My life looks more like this... (well, minus the cat... and the nursing.. and the blonde hair... well, geez, you get the idea)


A little background here... I LOVE to talk (I tend to get shy around new people but thats only because I get intimidated very easily - not because I'm snobby) and I LOVE to change things up everyday. Now, being at home I rarely get to talk and its the same thing day in and day out. This is our routine everyday:


- wake up/feed MC
- MC plays on mat and I eat breakfast/check email
- MC plays in walker (I usually dance and sing to her at this point)
- feed MC baby food
- put MC down for a nap
- while she's asleep I take a shower, make the bed, clean our room, and do the dishes
- get her up/feed her
- she watches baby einstein while I eat lunch
- we play together for a while then she goes down for a nap
- I do more cleaning or laundry and check email again
- she wakes up and we play/go for a walk
- she goes down for a nap and I get dinner ready

While she's asleep Adam usually comes home. I then proceede to talk nonstop about absolutely nothing because he can respond with more than "aaaahhhh" and "eeeiiioooo".

For those of you that work, you are hating me right now. You are thinking to yourselves - ugh, I wish I had time to do laundry and clean my house and sleep in late! This is true (I mean I don't know if I would consider 6:45 late, but its late for me compared to getting up at 4:15 when I used to teach). However, you have to weigh the pros and cons of the situation. WE HAVE NO MONEY. Big drawback. Another draw back is that I spend my ENTIRE day in silence! I mean, yes, I talk to Maggie Claire. A Lot actually. But, its just not as fulfilling when the person you are talking to looks at you like you're crazy and doesn't respond. Also, its completely monotonous. Same thing day in and day out. Feed the baby, change the baby, clean the house, feed the baby, change the baby, clean the house. You get the idea.

There. I kept it real. I really hate to complain because I do cherish the time I get to spend with MC and I know most moms would kill for the luxury - but it takes its toll. Thats all I'm sayin'.

4 comments:

Becky said...

Even though I don't have a kid, I stay at home all day without a job and I totally get it! I would LOVE to have converstaion all day! When Emory gets home, sometimes I talk his ear off just because I have missed talking to someone all day long! If I don't go somewhere, sometimes I can go all day without hearing my own voice, unless I am talking to Scout!!

Anonymous said...

I am SO with you! I am a stay at home mom too. I love it, but I do wish I had some kind of adult interaction. I have two little ones, which keeps me from cleaning the house so much, which kills me! I am lucky to keep it "surface cleaned". But then, I hate being negative at all because there are other women that would kill for my spot.

Lisa N. said...

I'm right there with you! I have said time & time again I wish I could teach part-time...which unfortunately is not an option. I want to work just to be "Lisa" again...but I just don't want to do retail again! If it wasn't for a girls night here and there, I'd go nutty!

Anonymous said...

Maybe take advantage of some free things in your town like story time at the library. You may meet some other moms there in your same situation and you could start play dates for your kiddos! Or maybe there are some other young moms at your church you could get together with once a week. It would give you something fun to look forward to!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews