Jan 23, 2012

Goldfish

Dear readers, once again I am making my vow to get back on the blogging train. I'm not even sure why I have been such a slacker lately.... that's a lie. I know exactly why. Poor Adam is so busy with school that the majority of the child rearing rests on my shoulders - and let's just say that after a 13+ hour day alone with a two year old the last thing you want to do is attempt to be comical. Or type. Typing involves moving and sometimes that is even too much of a task to undertake. You feel me?




So with excuses plainly stated I can now move on to the post at hand. Goldfish - aka MC's slight obsession.Let me introduce this fine bit of blog reading by saying that my sweet daughter is smart. I would even go so far as to say brilliant. (No, I'm not going to list all of the amazing things she can do.... even though I want to.... no......I won't be "that mom".... well, not today anyway.) So as I was saying, MC is smart. She's gotten this food thing all figured out. As I might have mentioned before, we have one picky eater on our hands! She refuses to eat just about everything you can imagine except fruit, yougurt, lima beans and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. And snack food (I'll get to that in a moment). She would literally go all day without eating sometimes if I never gave her any of her preferred favorites. As you can guess, this irritates and worries me to no end. I know the child isn't going to starve herself and I've heard repeatedly to just offer her healthy foods and eventually she'll get hungry enough to eat. So that's what I'm doing.....now. I have to admit that in the past when she hasn't eaten all day and she wakes up from her nap hungry, I would cave. I gave the kid goldfish crackers. I tried desperately not to, knowing in the back of my mind that I should simply reheat one of the 247 meals I have in the fridge that she's refused to eat, but it was still hard.

I hope you see where I'm going with this. MC figured out that if she didn't eat her meals and cried pitifully enough, mommy would shrivel into a ball of mush and give her goldfish to eat. Smart cookie. MC's new code for life was something along the lines of "Accept not the food of thy mother, instead bat thine eyes or cry out with all your might and the golden fish will be awarded unto thee"....




As you can see, this wasn't working. I am now trying a new approach - goldfish nazi. Oh yes. She cries and begs for them but I am staying strong. Or so I thought.



We are currently visiting my parents and when we are here, MC sleeps in the room with me. I'm not sure if she's had this planned or if it was pure coincidence, but last night I'm pretty sure she reached a new low in the goldfish attempts. There I was, lying in bed in the middle of a dead sleep when I hear "No!! No mommy no!!!!" I sprang up in the bed and immediately leaned over to check on MC. Fast asleep. The crying out continued, "no mommy! Please! GOLDFISH!!!" That's right. The child was either having a nightmare about her mean mommy not giving her goldfish, or she is Stewie brilliant and knowingly devised this evil plan - as I type I'm still torn. She continued, "Mommy! NO! Maggie goldfish, PLEASE!!!". Low kid, seriously low. She finally stopped and went back to her happy place, but I have to admit that she got me good. {Sigh} Score is now MC- 3,791, Mommy - 2. You play dirty Mags, that's all I'm going to say....

2 comments:

Cherry Berry said...

Omg, this sounds like my daughter with the paci. I took it away and she went a whole week without it, although she begged for it all day everyday, I didn't give it to her. Then one night, she was crying in her sleep, "I need my paci!!!!!!" I gave it back to her the next day at naptime. But in my defense, she's been going through some changes lately with us having a new baby, so it probably wasn't the best time to take it away... We are going to try again in a couple of months. She will be 3 in April, so hopefully soon!

Brittany said...

Hilarious!! Turner McCartney is a very picky eater and I hate it! She wants to eat nothing but puffs and fruit loops. I drive myself insane trying to get her to eat healthy.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews